Golden eagles trained for hunting take center stage in this special festival. The Kazakhs capture the young female golden eagles and train them to become hunters and treat them as a family member.
Route: Ulaanbaatar - Bayan Olgii - Ulaanbaatar
Region: Western Mongolia
Tour highlights: Eagle Hunting Festival, Bayan-Olgii, Kazakh culture
Available: 02 October – 07 October
Length of tour: 5 nights / 6 days
Travel style: Cultural
Price From: US$ 1758
Ethnic Kazakhs who mostly inhabit in the Western Mongolia province of Bayan-Olgii have kept their age old tradition of capturing and training young golden eagles to turn them into fierce hunters who can take on games such as rabbits, foxes and wolves. To celebrate this great tradition the Kazakhs gather in October in Bayan-Olgii province. Display of hunting eagles’ skill and prowess has become an event that attracts visitors from far and wide.
- Day 1. Oct 02 (Thu)
- Day 2. Oct 03 (Fri) Olgii. (B/L/D)
- Day 3,4. Oct 04-05 (Sat-Sun) The Golden Eagle Festival. (B/L/D)
- Day 5. Oct 06 (Mon) Ulaanbaatar. (B)
- Day 6. Oct 07 (Tue) Departure. (B)
Day 1. Oct 02 (Thu) Ulaanbaatar.
Arrival in Ulaanbaatar and transfer to your hotel. Half or full day Toursare available.
Day 2. Oct 03 (Fri) Olgii. (B/L/D)
After breakfast fly to Mongolia’s westernmost province, Bayan-Olgii. Olgii is a home to Kazakh people, who have a unique cultural heritage, music, handicrafts and traditional hunting with Golden Eagles. Upon arrival in Olgii, the provincial capital, visit the local museum, which provides insight into the diverse ethnic groups in the region. After a delicious lunch visit the local Mosque and market. Spend the night at an Eagle trainer’s family.
Day 3, 4. Oct 04-05 (Sat-Sun) The Golden Eagle Festival. (B/L/D)
Eagle trainers will gather to display their eagle handling skills and their eagles’ abilities. The festival will begin with the hunters displaying their traditional Kazakh costumes and their eagle’s equipments and ornaments. This is an exciting and authentic event which not only features eagle hunters’ competitions, but also other Kazakh traditional games such as Kokpar (headless goat carcass polo), Kazakh archery, and many more.
Prizes are awarded for the best traditional costume, the eagle’s gear and ornaments. The eagles are rated according to their speed and agility. During the festival, folk art performances will add even more cheerfulness to an already fantastic atmosphere. Spend the night in a ger camp.
Day 5. Oct06 (Mon) Ulaanbaatar. (B)
Transfer to the airport for flight back to Ulaanbaatar. Spend the night in a hotel.
Day 6. Oct07 (Tue) Departure. (B)
Transfer to the airport or railway station for an international departure.
Tour available dates:
Eagle Hunting Festival
02 – 07 October, 2014
|3 star hotel||-||-||-||-||-|
|4-5 star hotel||-||-||-||-||-|
- Transfers upon arrival and departure
- English speaking guide at all times.
- In the countryside all lodging will be in ger camps.
- All meals are provided as stated in the itinerary.
- Ground transportation: in the countryside by a chauffeur driven 4WD jeep, bus in the city area.
- Park entrance fees
- Sightseeing as per itinerary
- 1 liter of drinking water per day per person
- Accommodation in a hotel or hostel in Ulaanbaatar
- Hotel extras, such as telephone calls, bar bills and laundry services
- Travel insurance, medical insurance
- Visa application fees
- Alcoholic beverages
- Personal expenses such as IDD call, internet, laundry, items of a personal nature
- Gratuity to local guides and drivers
- Airfare or train ticket
- Airport taxes, excess baggage charges (over 44pound / 20kilo)
- Changes of arrival/departure flights
- Additional services
- Any charges of major force beyond our control (e.g. imposition, quarantine restrictions, etc…)
- Optional excursions unless stated in your itinerary, etc…
Tour map content goes here.
This is a suggested packing list, which you should feel free to adjust to suit your needs. Please refer to our travel guide for more detailed information.
- backpack or soft bag
- spare batteries/bulb
- personal medications
- winter coat
- winter boots
- fleece jacket or wool jumper
- cotton t-shirts
- long sleeve shirts
- winter long johns
- winter socks
- sun glasses
- resealing (Ziploc) plastic bags
- watch/ alarm clock
- money belt/ pouch
- insurance confirmation copy
- emergency contact number
- winter mittens
- winter woolly hat