Golden eagles trained for hunting take center stage in this special festival. The Kazakhs capture the young female golden eagles and train them to become hunters and treat them as a family member.
Route: Ulaanbaatar - Bayan Olgii - Ulaanbaatar
Region: Ulgii, Western Mongolia
Tour highlights: Ulgii, Golden Eagle Festival
Available: 28th of September- 05th of October/2016
Length of tour: 7 nights / 8 days
Travel style: Cultural
Price From: US$ 1,798
Ethnic Kazakhs who mostly inhabit in the Western Mongolia province of Bayan-Olgii have kept their age old tradition of capturing and training young golden eagles to turn them into fierce hunters who can take on games such as rabbits, foxes and wolves. To celebrate this great tradition the Kazakhs gather in October in Bayan-Olgii province. Display of hunting eagles’ skill and prowess has become an event that attracts visitors from far and wide.
- Day 1. Sep28 (Wed) Ulaanbaatar
- Day 2. Sep29 (Thu) Ulaanbaatar – Ulgii (L/D)
- Day 3. Sep30 (Fri) Free day in Sagsai soum/ Ulgii (B/L/D)
- Day 4, 5. Oct01-02 (Sat-Sun) The Golden Eagle Festival (B/L/D)
- Day 6. Oct03 (Mon) Half day trekking in Ulgii (B/L/D)
- Day 7. Oct04 (Tue) Ulgii – Ulaanbaatar (B)
- Day 8. Oct05 (Wed)Ulaanbaatar
Day 1. Sep28 (Wed) Ulaanbaatar
Arrival in Ulaanbaatar and transfer to your hotel. Half or full day tours are available.
Day 2. Sep29 (Thu) Ulaanbaatar – Ulgii
After breakfast fly to Mongolia’s western-most province, Bayan Ulgii. Ulgii is home to the Kazakh people, who have a unique cultural heritage – music, handicrafts and traditional Hunting with Golden Eagles. On arrival in Ulgii, the provincial capital, visit the local museum, which provides insight into the diverse ethnic groups in the region. After a delicious lunch visit the local Mosque and market. Spend the night with an Eagle trainer’s family. (L/D)
Day 3. Sep30 (Fri) Free day in Sagsai soum/ Ulgii
Today we spend a full day with Kazakh family. Drive to man stone which located in Sagsai soum and lunch with family. Late afternoon drive back to Ulgii city and stay overnight at ger camp. (B/L/D)
Day 4, 5. Oct01-02 (Sat-Sun) The Golden Eagle Festival
Eagle trainers will gather to show their skills and their eagles’ abilities. The festival will begin with the hunters displaying their traditional Kazakh costumes and their eagle’s equipment and ornaments. This is an exciting and authentic event which not only features eagle hunters’ competitions, but also other Kazakh traditional games such as Kokbar (goat carcass polo), Kazak archery, and many more.
Prizes are given for the best traditional costume, the eagle’s gear and ornaments. The eagles will be rated according to their speed and agility. During the festival, folklore performances will add even more cheerfulness to an already fantastic atmosphere. Spend the night in a ger camp. (B/L/D)
Day 6. Oct03 (Mon) Half day trekking in Ulgii
After breakfast short rest at ger camp and then we will start half day trekking along the beautiful Khovd River, which flows from Tavan Bogd mountain of the Altai Mountains to Khar-Us Lake and length is 516 kilometers. Stay overnight at ger camp. (B/L/D)
Day 7. Oct04 (Tue) Ulgii – Ulaanbaatar
Transfer to the airport for the flight back to Ulaanbaatar. Spend the night in a hotel. (B)
Day 8. Oct05 (Wed) Ulaanbaatar
Transfer to the airport or railway station for an international departure.
Tour available dates:
28th of September- 05th of October/2016
Single Supplement in Ger camp
Single occupancy in ger camps; 80 USD per person
- Transfers upon arrival and departure
- English speaking guide at all times.
- In the countryside all lodging will be in ger camps.
- All meals are provided as stated in the itinerary.
- Ground transportation: in the countryside by a chauffeur driven 4WD jeep, bus in the city area.
- Park entrance fees
- Sightseeing as per itinerary
- 1 liter of drinking water per day per person
- Accommodation in a hotel or hostel in Ulaanbaatar
- Hotel extras, such as telephone calls, bar bills and laundry services
- Travel insurance, medical insurance
- Visa application fees
- Alcoholic beverages
- Personal expenses such as IDD call, internet, laundry, items of a personal nature
- Gratuity to local guides and drivers
- Airfare or train ticket
- Airport taxes, excess baggage charges (over 44pound / 20kilo)
- Changes of arrival/departure flights
- Additional services
- Any charges of major force beyond our control (e.g. imposition, quarantine restrictions, etc…)
- Optional excursions unless stated in your itinerary, etc…
Since the trip will be in the mountainous, a high altitude region of Mongolia, and the weather can be very unpredictable and you might even experience snow, we suggest you bring the following:
- Warm coat
- Woolen hat
- Long underwear / long johns
- Woolen jumper
- Woolen socks
- Sleeping bag (for -10 to -15C)
Please bring the above in addition to your usual gear and items for such a trip. Only Russian jeeps /minivans are available in this region
This is a suggested packing list, which you should feel free to adjust to suit your needs. Please refer to our travel guide for more detailed information.
- backpack or soft bag
- spare batteries/bulb
- personal medications
- winter coat
- winter boots
- fleece jacket or wool jumper
- cotton t-shirts
- long sleeve shirts
- winter long johns
- winter socks
- sun glasses
- resealing (Ziploc) plastic bags
- watch/ alarm clock
- money belt/ pouch
- insurance confirmation copy
- emergency contact number
- winter mittens
- winter woolly hat